Friday, November 18, 2011

Butternut Squash and Spinach Strata

Next up on the list Butternut Squash and Spinach Strata!  So what is a strata?  It's a casserole made of day old bread and milk and eggs and pretty much anything else you would like to put in there.  It's a lot like a bread pudding and makes a great meal for breakfast, lunch, dinner, brunch, whatever.  With all that said, this was not my favorite.  I'm not a huge egg fan and this is eggy.  I always want to like eggs, especially interesting recipes like this or frittatas but I just don't.  I'm always willing to give things a try though and here are my thoughts on this try:  This recipe calls for white bread, but I was listening to a program on Martha Stewart radio on Sirius XM last week and the guest suggested using some more interesting bread such as ciabatta or brioche.  Definitely something to keep in mind.  Due to the nature of this meal plan, you make the night you are going to eat it but it is actually recommended that you throw the whole thing in the fridge the night before and put it in the oven the next day.  I might try these changes this month and see how it goes.  Overall, it looks very cool when it comes out of the oven.  It rises and becomes golden and fluffy.  It's really just too much bread and egg for me but I think with a more interesting bread, I might enjoy this more.  I wasn't a huge fan of the butternut squash in it either because it already seemed too much like bread pudding and then the sweetness of the squash really underlined that.  I will probably try mushrooms and thyme or sage next time along with the spinach because I love that combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment