Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Jingle Jingle!

So what seems like a year ago, but was really this past December, we went to the Deer Head Inn for their Jingle Jingle event.  We had a blast for so many reasons, but here are some of the highlights.  Joy Mazur did a wonderful spoken word piece about if everyday were Christmas.   Johnny Rydell was outrageously fun and it makes me wish he spent more time on the stage at Sarah St instead of adjusting the sound!  Sara Bauer did some Santaland Diaries fun.  If you haven't read it, do!  My favorite, Bovine Social Club got up and rocked the house.  The Shockenaw Mountain Boys were also incredible even if they were missing a few band members.  If you like Railroad Earth, then you know and like Tim Carbone already and this is another great project that he is involved in.  Tim also got up at one point and did an incredible spoken word which I wish I could remember because it was great!  I also learned a new turn of phrase that night, "new grass".  This definitely describes the awesome music we heard that night.
Now on to the food!  If you ever have the opportunity to go to the Deer Head, you won't be disappointed.  We started with a really nice house salad and a cup of butternut squash soup with almonds.  I love butternut squash soup especially with a little dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt.  Perfect toasty feeling for a cold night.  I think it could have done with a small bit of heat or acid to balance it a little better because this particular incarnation tasted a little too much like dessert to me.  Delicious, but sweet.  I absolutely love their stuffed flounder and get it almost every time we go there.  It's got a wonderful lemon beurre blanc sauce that I must learn to make.  John always gravitates to their chicken pot pie, and I can't say I blame him.  It's topped with a crispy, chewy, buttery puff pastry that is divine.  We ended the night with their creme brulee because it is an absolute must any time we go there.  The sugar top is crisp and caramel-ly and the custard is cold and creamy.  Mmmmm... I could go for some right now!  Oh and lest I forget, I won the 50/50!  It basically covered our dinner and also got me a lovely poster of the event autographed by some of the players!  All in all, it was a really fun night and I'm glad that we went and I'm really glad I finally got the opportunity to blog about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment